Trip Slideshow

CRC Background

The Child Rescue Centre (CRC), established in July 2000, provides safety and hope to nearly 300 children who have been rescued from desperate situations. Initially opened as a feeding program for children living on the streets during Sierra Leone’s brutal civil war, the Centre has become a nationally-recognized model for bringing up at-risk children in Sierra Leone to become leaders. The CRC takes a holistic approach to raising children, addressing their intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual needs. Through in-country partnerships with church organizations and local community groups, the CRC seeks to ensure that children in Sierra Leone are allowed to enjoy their childhood – attend school, receive basic healthcare, actively participate in sports and other games, attend worship, and develop leadership skills. Our team Consisted of 3 adults and 13 college students. We provided vacation bible school, completed projects around the compound, tutored the students, and attended real and meaningful young adult relationship with the kids living inside the CRC. To find out more information please visit www.helpingchildrenworldwide.org

The Last Night

Although I couldn't blog about every single day, this day was easily the most special. It was last day of VBS and the last day at the CRC. For VBS, we just practiced the play we were getting ready to perform later that night.  The kids really would not listen and I was beginning to become worried this play wouldn't turn out too well for those coming to watch. After practice, I played soccer with Idrissa and Alusine.  Idrissa was goalie, me and Alusine played one on one.  I attempted to play in sperrys while he played barefoot and he still beat me 3 to 1 (I guess I'm just trash because he's like 13).  I was the one who ended up with more cuts on my foot, I don’t understand how they play with sandals and barefeet.  We hung around the kids as much as we could until it was time for the play and last night activities at eight.  I honestly thought the kids were too young, there was too many of them, and they had too many lines. But somehow they were literally amazing.  Nobody messed up and it looked like a real school play.  They exited singing “Marching in the Light of God.” They sing half the song in English and half in Zulu "Siya-Hamba Ekukhayeni Kwenkos." Whenever they sing the Siyahamba part, It's seriously the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.
        Then the goodbyes began.  Somehow I didn’t cry but we probably hugged everyone 100 times. Saffie is just 8 years old and asked me if I was going to cry laughing almost expecting it. She got a little teary eyed towards the end but I think the kids are just used to people coming and going although its harder for some of them. Moinina is probably my favorite kid who I could write an entire blog about. He really does feel like a little brother to me even though I've only spent two trips with him. You could tell he didn't like the goodbyes, he wasn't saying much, he was just standing still. We have a special handshake where we pound and then explode our hands. We did it one more time but most certainly not the last. The CRC takes incredible care of the kids. They're the fortunate ones who are guaranteed the shelter, education, and food. The older ones is what gets me though, saying goodbye to Johanese who was leaving the CRC, to be reunified with a foster family right after we left was the hardest. He's showed no emotion the whole trip, he was a tough kid. But tonight he broke down, I honestly couldn't look him in the eye as I said goodbye, It was too hard. I told him when he makes it to the pros in futbol, he better hook me up with some free tickets and take care of me. The older ones like him, I'm probably praying for the hardest, they're entering the real world where most people in their country struggle to survive. I have faith in the CRC kids though, they're proud to be from Sierra Leone and can seriously do great things for their country. Some people worry about "Brain Drain" in Africa, where people with real education and skill sets have goals to one day leave and take their talents elsewhere. I'm not worried about that here at the Child Rescue Centre. Mohamed Nabieu told me "I'm studying environmental science and agriculture because you know Sierra Leone, this country needs a lot of development." We asked Abdulai how's the university, how are your friends? He replied "My books are my friends."  They're staying in their beloved country. I really do hate saying goodbye to the kids after becoming so close with all of them.  I want to adopt them all as brothers and sisters and take them with me or mostly really just stay and work at the orphanage to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment