Trip Slideshow

CRC Background

The Child Rescue Centre (CRC), established in July 2000, provides safety and hope to nearly 300 children who have been rescued from desperate situations. Initially opened as a feeding program for children living on the streets during Sierra Leone’s brutal civil war, the Centre has become a nationally-recognized model for bringing up at-risk children in Sierra Leone to become leaders. The CRC takes a holistic approach to raising children, addressing their intellectual, emotional, physical, and spiritual needs. Through in-country partnerships with church organizations and local community groups, the CRC seeks to ensure that children in Sierra Leone are allowed to enjoy their childhood – attend school, receive basic healthcare, actively participate in sports and other games, attend worship, and develop leadership skills. Our team Consisted of 3 adults and 13 college students. We provided vacation bible school, completed projects around the compound, tutored the students, and attended real and meaningful young adult relationship with the kids living inside the CRC. To find out more information please visit www.helpingchildrenworldwide.org

The Beach before home

        Today was a sad day.  We had to leave Bo, we ate breakfast and packed up the car. The kids came over to the MTC one more time to say goodbye and we headed to Freetown. After an easy 5 hour ride, we checked in our hotel and were off to the beach.  I wasn’t very excited but when we got there, it ended up being so cool.  Palm trees, incredible water, and exotic wooden chairs at the top of the sand.  Besides the trash, it was unbelievable, lol. But really, between the trees and just the beautiful views of the Freetown mountains, I wanted to just stay put and buy a house there. Most of us got in the water and I am so glad we did.  It was so nice, we stayed in for about an hour until a couple of us starting feeling some sketchy stuff swimming around us and immediately got out haha. We were probably just overreacting because my main mans Aruna assured me no sharks and probably not jellyfish at this time of year. We headed back to the hotel and most of us were real exhausted.  We hung out in our room and played mafia until we passed out around midnight. 


        
        Before heading to the Lungi Airport, we went shopping at the market. I got two bags for my sisters, and two wooden Sierra Leone decorations for the family. Bargaining was really fun, I got most of my prices down really low and spent about $20 (80,000 leones). This time, we took the water taxi instead of the Ferry to get to the airport, which was a phenomenal decision.  We basically had a long speed boat to ourselves that got us to the airport in half the time and double the luxury the Ferry would have.  We hung out in the airport for about five hours playing mafia, eating, and sleeping and took our 2 hour flight to Ghana.
       At the Ghana airport, we barely made our flight to Atlanta. Ghana is surprisingly pretty nice, we were guided through a very complex route and cut everyone to the immigration line just to make our flight on time (pretty stressful stuff).  The flight was 13 hours and usually I’d assume I would lose my mind but it went by extremely fast. Before I knew it, we were landing in ATL and immediately got on our flight home to Dulles. It felt great to be home.  As I logged on my computer Johanese Bans messaged me on Facebook “So how is your trip, I hope it went nice”, “ I want you to know I was happy to see you when you were here, I MISS YOU SO MUCH, I wont forget the time we had together”. 

Shoutout to my penpal Abu Bakarr if you get to read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment